Monday, January 30, 2012

From AKL to Auckland City

Right now I'm about to go to sleep at ACB, Auckland Central Backpackers. The place is ok, reminds me of the Jugendherberge (plural) I visited in Germany while I was a student at Østerskov Efterskole. Crappy showers, crowded rooms and extremely polite service.

But let's get back to where I last left you:
Gigi and I got out of AKL, Auckland Airport, after walking through another security point with Chinese people everywhere. I don't know what's wrong with them, but they come across as very unpolite in their behavior. The group in front of us, decided that it would more practical to take their bags off their carts, realizing that they had to run them through the X-ray 1 by 1 while having their passports and customs declarations checked. So 2 people did that while the woman was left to deal with the police officer. They continued (without their passports and all of the luggage) to the X-ray and left the cart blocking the line for everyone else. When the officer yelled at them to get their attention, the younger man quickly replied: "Yes yes, X-ray" and wandered off before the officer got to react. A college caught them and took them all aside to make space for Gigi and I.

After that, we went outside a had a breath of fresh air (first since leaving Amsterdam), and yes, literally fresh air, that stuff doesn't exist in China. Much like New York it's dry and polluted, smelly if you want.
I tries to get a SIM for my phone, but apparently I have to go to "real" store to get a Micro-SIM for my iPhone 4S. So that'll have to wait until tomorrow (today by the time this is posted).
Gigi and I then took the bus to Auckland central. It took me some time to realize we were in the wrong side of the road, probably because I'm so exhausted after the trip. On that note, I'll enjoy the landscape tomorrow as well.
When we got to Downtown, we checked in at ACB, I showered and we went outside to walk around the city and find some WiFi (thank god for McDonalds!).
Gigi went back to bed I wanted to find some Bubble Tea. Being so close to China there had to be a tea house somewhere. I found (Thank you Siri!), went there and had a cup. Now I'm back here.

Stay tuned for tomorrows post, Gigi doesn't know it yet but we're going to Waiheke Island as Clare (my supervisor from IBA) suggested. Supposedly it's really beautiful there.

P.S.: Is it mandatory for backpackers to snore? 3 of the 5 others in here do so. Including Gigi :p

No comments:

Post a Comment