Monday, February 6, 2012

Weekend update

So it's been a wee while since I last updated, I'm not dead, just so you know.

I previously posted about Educa, the company I work for, well Nathan and I are getting along very well and the job is both fun and interesting. Unfortunately I can not share details but I like it there, the environment is great at the office, lots of friendly people.

Wellington is a cool city, and I prefer it over Auckland. Auckland seems very uptight, over-polished and stressed where Wellington is more down to earth and relaxed.

Thursday and friday I worked. Thursday I met up with Gene Brumby, a Pro Tour (Magic: The Gathering) player and his friend Chips (I think was his nickname? Not sure) in Brooklyn where he lives. We played some games and talked about his trip to Honolulu to play and hopefully win a lot! (Best of luck mate!). Friday after work Nathan and I went out for a beer and after that he dropped me off at home (Robyn's place).

Saturday I slept long, because I could, then Robyn was going shopping and took me to the train station, where I then headed off to Wellington. I went to Pulsar Max, a store where geeks who like to play Magic, can hang out. I entered a tourney and had fun with the locals. I met a guy called Charlie, and while we were playing a game, he checked his phone for messages, one his friends have invited him to play at Toi Whakaari, I asked if I could come because my last train had already left. We went there and saw Tom Keeper Passes, a really fun and interesting play about society, very well thought through and played. Despite their low budget (I assume), they did an amazing job!
After the play we went to Charlie's, watched a movie and went to bed. Sunday morning we went back to the store and did another tourney. Eventually Charlie had to leave so I decided to head home, around 5:30 or so.

Now, the only way to ge directly home is to take the schoolbus, schoolbuses naturally don't run on sundays, so I had to take an alternate route. On the 83 to Queensgate, Lower Hutt, from where I'd wait 40 minutes to get on the 150 towards Kelson. The short story is that I wasn't home until 7:40, after walking from Speedy's Reserve and up the hill to Robyn's. Here was Richard, Robyn's friend, with his kids. They only just finished eating so they cooked some more for me which was really nice of them. So I had my own little buffet with salad, rice, sausages, mushrooms, corn and beer.

Monday february 6, was a national holiday, celebrating Waitangi Day, the day when Maori (the people who lived here 'first') came to peace with the brits, accepting the Queen of England as their ruler. So I slept long again.
Around afternoon, Robyn asked if I wanted to go for a drive, I didn't have anything else to do so I went with her, a good choice. We went up a hill, I took some pictures of the landscape and we continued, Robyn was going to say hi to her daughter. So we drove to her place. They had kids all over the place, turned out the pool was out and that's where all the screaming was coming from, 3 kids (around 6-8 I guess) was swimming and jumping in and out, they had fun. In the garden was Robyn's daughter, husband and some of their friends sitting and drinking wine, and 5 minutes later, dinner was server. Quite awesome, considering that we didn't really plan anything for food. We talked lots and had fun, then went back home.

All in all, lots of things going on all the time, New Zealand is quite fantastic.

I would have liked to attach some images, but the internet is really slow, so, not this time :s

No comments:

Post a Comment